The Treadmill. Once you get moving on one it’s hard to stop. You know what I mean. That daily routine you repeat day after day. Not that it’s a bad routine; but it may not be a necessarily good way to live, day after day after day.
Some of us come to hate our jobs, our family life, even our own lives. We just get bored with the same ol’ same ol’. Frustrated! Isn’t life supposed to be more than this?!?
But how to make it more is the trick. Here are some ideas that have worked for me—
- Sleep! Start your day the night before. Then get up at the same time every day. (Except on vacation.)
- Breathe in…, breathe out. Start your day with stretching, breathing exercises, even walking a mile.
- Drink lots of coffee. It has produced great energy in laboratory rats before it killed them.
- Quiet your soul in prayer; 5+ minutes at least.
- Listen to heart-thumping, heavy base music on your way to work. Classical music (which I love) just doesn’t get me pumped for what lies ahead.
- Drink apricot-mango juice. It will clear the crap out quite well.
- Process work frustrations with a friend, not your partner. Show up at home ready to serve.
- Sell the kids if you have them…, or at least get a baby sitter so you can have one night OUT a week. AND, one Saturday a month, escape your present environment. Go…, anywhere. Just leave, with or without the kids.
- Drink tea…, and carry on. Or, for some of us, a good dram of single malt scotch. Jus’ sayin’.
- Before you go to bed that night, say you are sorry for whatever you did today to wound another person. And mean it. Call them from bed if you have to. You want to start tomorrow with a clean slate.
I realize these ideas will not work for everyone. Sometimes they don’t even work for me. But if you want your life to have a little more oomph, a little more pizzazz to it, YOU have to make it happen. No one else will.
Back to the Treadmill…, with more gusto, less crap!
For what it’s worth,