Many people would agree that manners matter. In the case of how we interact with people outside our Christian culture it is just as important. Here are 10 rules to help you in your etiquette within society.
1. PRAY– Ask God to prepare you to offer Him to people you don’t know.
2. Do your homework-Learn about yourself, your culture and the gospel.
1 Peter 3:15 “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience…”
3. Go where people go– Jesus didn’t sit around and wait for people; follow His example.
4. Shut your face-Much of the work we need to do has already been done by the Holy Spirit. Ask questions to see what is important to them. Find out what the Lord has revealed to them already.
5. Be interactive in conversations-Let feedback determine the way your express God’s love to another. (This requires you to listen)
6. Become transparent– Relax, you don’t have to be perfect, but you MUST be open and honest. Let others see that Christianity can be messy, because it is REAL!
7. Develop the art of caring-People are not a sting operation: they are not projects or targets. We must learn how to love them in the process of life. Meaning caring take time.
8-Make time for people– Now take some time with them. The gospel is best communicated with action more than words.
9- Find out how people it in life without God– This is critical! If a person feels no need for God because he can make it on his own, then how will they ever respond with a NEED for the kingdom? Another reason to take your time and learn more about a person.
10-Pray with people– Ask first, then watch how God becomes visible in their lives.