The images coming out of Russia’s invasion of Ukrainian cities is heart wrenching. Three million (3½?) displaced or evacuated. Fathers torn from wives and families. Babies. Children. Destruction. Disruption. And unknown death.
Such slaughter and brutality has not been seen since Myanmar, Vietnam, Afghanistan, or Cambodia. The Second World War started with a grab for land and power. Germany invaded Poland. The First World War started with the assassination of Arch-Duke Ferdinand. What prompted President Putin to start this one?
Greed…, and Pride.
Vladimer Putin has always been obsessed with Joseph Stalin. He is intent in reclaiming lands that will restore Russia to its former Empire standing. No matter the cost to civilization, lives, or displaced peoples. His invasion of Ukraine harkens back to our relentless will to power. [Thank you Friedich Nietzsche. 1844 – 1900] Nazi Germany did the same thing when it invaded Poland on Sept 1, 1939. We are obsessed with control and power.
The flagrant use of power to annihilate an entire people has been the way of the world for millenia. In our day this tendency has been enhanced through the development of technologically advanced weapons of mass destruction. There seems to be no limit to our invention of more sophisticated weaponry to kill each other.
How ARE Jesus followers across this planet to respond to these atrocieties? My thots… .
1. Pray for Vladimer Putin. He needs to come under the authority of Christ just like the rest of us.
2. Given what I’ve written above, pray this war doesn’t develop into WWIII.
3. Anger at this war is right. This mass destruction of life and property is wrong before God.
4. Seek to send aid to those caught up in this milieu. Especially those displaced. Or who mourn.
5. Become a practical advocate of peace wherever your sphere of influence.
6. God’s Church in Ukraine is doing so much to care for those whose lives have been shattered. Support them in any way you can. [Here is one example.]
7. Be assured our God reigns, even if it does not seem so at the moment. Never loose sight of that.
Many times throughout human history it has seemed that the wrath of Hell has enveloped our world. So is God still in control? Absolutely. But because our ancestors brought evil into this world it will remain until Christ returns to end it. God help us all.
In the mean time, we are responsible to correct as many ills and evils of humanity as possible. Yes, this war is a terrible thing. But only God honoring men and women can bring the peace of Christ to end it.
Honor God, honor people…, make a difference,
Dr. Gary Davis, President
NEXT— A surprise!