But… . ~“But... people who offered no excuses
The nay-sayers— you know who they are. I’ve had my share too. BUT, there are simply a large group of people who seem to be unable to see the light at the end of the tunnel, the silver lining in the menacing clouds, the God-given good we all can access. You’ve heard the phrase— “Life is a bitch…, then you die.”Well, that would be a step uP for some of these people. For whatever reason, they are so terrified of failure that they never try anything, especially anything new.
Invariably, the first word out of their mouth, in response to what you are attempting is “But… .”
If you’ve had people in your life who constantly offer you their “Buts… .” BUT, rarely their help, ideas, or encouragements, I offer you this list of The 100 Most Influential People in the World. It’s time we took encouragement from those who did not sit on their butts, BUT made a difference, for better or for worse. [Thank you, Michael J. Hart.] This listing is of only the first 25; if you want to see the other 75, buy the book or hit the WEBsite.
Top (25) 100 List
- Muhammad (570 – 632 AD) Prophet of Islam.
- Isaac Newton (1642 – 1727) – British mathematician and scientist.
- Jesus Christ (c.5BC – 30 AD) Spiritual teacher and central figure of Christianity.
- Buddha (c 563 – 483 BC) Spiritual Teacher and founder of Buddhism.
- Confucius (551 – 479 BC) – Chinese philosopher.
- St. Paul (5 – AD 67) – Christian missionary and one of the main writers of New Testament.
- Ts’ai Lun (AD 50 – 121) Inventor of paper.
- Johann Gutenberg (1395 – 1468) – Inventor of the printing press.
- Christopher Columbus (1451 – 1506) – Italian explorer landed in America.
- Albert Einstein (1879 – 1955) German/ US scientist discovered Theory of Relativity.
- Louis Pasteur (1822 – 1895) French biologist. Developed a cure for rabies and other infectious diseases.
- Galileo Galilei (1564 – 1642) Italian scientist – confirmed the heliocentric view of the universe.
- Aristotle (384 BC – 322 BC) – Greek philosopher and polymath.
- Euclid (c. 325 – 265 BC) – Greek mathematician.
- Moses (c 1391 – 1271 BC) A key figure of Jewish / Christian history gave 10 Commandments of Old Testament.
- Charles Darwin (1809 -– 1882) –Scientist who proposed and popularised theory of evolution.
- Shih Huang Ti (259 – 210 BC) – King of the state of Qin who conquered & united different regions of China in 221 BC.
- Augustus Caesar (63 BC-AD 14) – First Emperor of Rome.
- Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) Renaissance mathematician and astronomer who believed Sun was the center of Universe – rather than earth.
- Antoine Laurent Lavoisier (1743 – 1794) French chemist and biologist who had leading impact on the chemical revolution.
- Constantine the Great (272 AD – 337) Roman Emperor who accepted Christian religion.
- James Watt (1736 – 1819) Scottish engineer. Watt improved the Newcome steam engine creating an efficient steam engine.
- Michael Faraday (1791 – 1867) – English scientist who contributed in fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.
- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. Maxwell made a significant contribution to understanding electromagnetism
- Martin Luther (1483-1546) Sought to reform the Roman Catholic Church – starting the Protestant Reformation.
[Hart, Michael H. 1992. The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History, Revised and Updated for the Nineties. New York: Citadel Press]
Every one of these individuals faced overarching obstacles in their efforts to influence people, improve existing technologies, challenge the church, defy governments, and change the world around them. You will find it no different. Anyone who seeks to make a difference must prepare for those who say it cannot be done. Get used to it.
Yes, I just copied/pasted the list. BUT you needed to see it. BUT, they decided to make a difference. How are you doing with that in your own life? Get on with it! You know there is just something, ONE Thing, you simply MUST do before you die.
Get on with it!
NEXT— Becoming a man, a woman, who doesn’t have a but.
Honor God, honor people…, make a difference,